Cloud hosting services are a bit confusing and the marketing of these services is often misleading. What you really need to understand is what you are NOT getting as part of the monthly subscription.
With today’s XaaS (anything as a service) cloud hosting provider, you should expect hosting AND all the support that you would expect with a virtual IT department.
ZDNet, a well-respected technology news and analysis site, explains their definition of cloud hosting.
XaaS or anything as a service is the delivery of IT as a Service through hybrid Cloud computing and is a reference to either one or a combination of Software as a Service (SaaS), Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS), Platform as a Service (PaaS), communications as a service (CaaS) or monitoring as a service (Maas). XaaS is quickly emerging as a term that is being readily recognized as services that were previously separated on either private or public Clouds are becoming transparent and integrated.
In other words, cloud hosting services are supposed to be more than just a parking lot for your data. They should also include all the support you would expect (and deserve!) if you had your own IT Department.
Types of Cloud Hosting
When shopping for cloud hosting services, we found there are two basic types being offered today.
- The first provides disk storage for you to host, share and backup data.
- The second includes the same as the first, AND the ability to seamlessly integrate your data with all the other applications and services you use, public or private, including email and industry and/or business-specific applications.
The problem for most businesses is there is a need for more – more features, more flexibility, more access, more hand-holding, more support. That’s not what you get with the majority of cloud hosting services today.
So when you’re shopping for cloud hosting services, beware of the shortcomings of many service providers. Be sure to ask about the type and nature of the support you can expect to receive as part of their service.
- Will they provide email AND private file storage AND storage, access, and support for your proprietary applications?
- Will they be able to help you if your business application stops communicating with your mail servers in the middle of the night?
- Will they help you install and test a new add-on to your proprietary application?
- Will you be able to access the cloud securely, from anywhere, using any device?
Don’t just price shop. Compare apples-to-apples before you sign on the dotted line.
We think we have a “slam-dunk” with our managed SmartHosting solution. Our XaaS Cloud Service consolidates all of your technology and data needs into one service contract and vendor.
SmartHosting provides better server management and the same quality end-user support we are known for and you’ve come to expect from an IT service provider. Anything you would require and install at your private location can be supported within our single cloud computing solution, SmartHosting.
Have a question about what your cloud hosting provider or candidate might not be telling you? Concerned about cloud hosting shortcomings or omissions? Feel free to ask questions below or contact us. We’ll get right back to you.